Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First post of 2009

Well, it's been quite a while since I've posted anything new. I go through stages it seems with writing. I'll be on fire and write, write, write for a month or two, cool off for a month or two, fire back up again, and on and on the cycle goes. So, I'm actually planning on posting a couple of things today.

My last post was before Thanksgiving, and a lot has happened since then. We spent Thanksgiving moving my in-laws. My father-in-law found a good job in Seattle, so while he's working over there, they are renting out their house and my mother-in-law moved into our spare bedroom. I was more than willing to do whatever I could to help them out, but I thought it was going to be pretty tough having people living with us, but thankfully, it's actually been pretty great. We're enjoying having them there, and my dad-in-law has been off work since before Christmas and will be going back later this month, so it's awesome that he gets to be around.

Our son, Quinn, is doing amazing things. He decided he was done crawling and he didn't like falling much, so he's just full-on walking now. No stumbling, no hesitation, he just walks. It's awesome. He's truly the pride of my life. He's such a blessing and so wonderful. It's hard to believe that a year ago tomorrow he was just coming into our lives. So much has happened since then...so much has changed and we've been through so much. It doesn't look like we'll be reaching the end of our struggles any time soon, but my beautiful baby boy reminds me of God's promise and fulfillment, and it reminds me to keep holding on to His other promises for us and to wait for the fulfillment of those.

We got rid of our beloved Nissan Xterra and were blessed with an older Isuzu Trooper that is just amazing. It does great on gas, great on the road, awesome off road, and saves us a ton of money every month by not having a massive car payment! My buddies and I are going to lift it a little bit and build a custom front bumper, rock sliders and a roof rack with 3 8" Pro Comp off road lights and enough space to haul a ton of camping and off-roading gear. I'm pretty excited about that.

I've decided to start a new recording project later in the spring. I've had a season of winter musically for a while, and I think I'm breaking out of that and I feel some music stuff just about ready to break through the surface and break out. What that means, I don't know...I just feel a restlessness in my spirit and heart. I read a blog the other day from a great worship band (Leeland) about being on the road. As I was reading this blog about traveling through New Jersey looking at the snow, in my mind I could so vividly feel it. I could feel the vibration and bumps of the van as I was traveling down the road to the next venue; I could see the snow, feel the contrast of the cold window and the blasting heater. I often think that I'm destined to be traveling and leading worship, ministering, and playing music, and as I sit and stare at this computer screen at my job, I feel so unfulfilled and yet so hopeful.

It has snowed a ton here this year, and I had no shoes worthy of trudging in the snow and slush. So, I bought some steel-toed, waterproof hiking/work boots from WalMart the other day, and they are pretty much the coolest kicks in the cave. They are not my usual style of footwear, but it's kinda fun knowing I could kick a hole in a concrete wall and not hurt my toes.

I've been hooked on watching Lost. ABC has posted all 4 seasons online, and I have watched all 4 of them. Although it is a bizarre show at times, I really like it and I'm excited for the premier later this month.

Well, that's about it for my life update. Oh yeah...one more thing. We discovered that we're pregnant again! We are going to be having baby #2 in August. At first we were terrified and kinda heartbroken about it, simply because now is no time to be having babies. But, children are a blessing from God, and we'll just trust Him to provide and make a way, and we are really happy and excited now.

That's about it. I've got a teaching-type blog I'll post up later. I may even preach it one of these days. But in the mean time...

Oh, and one more thing I just remembered. What is it about the hills and mountains that make all the troubles of life fade and make God appear bigger and more real than ever? The wife and I loaded up our kid-o and our dogs and headed to the hills for a drive on Sunday. We drove up Van Deusen, past Willow Creek, past our usual camping spots and up to a pond that was frozen over and absolutely gorgeous. It was all so beautiful and gorgeous up there, and it just kinda melted all the worries from our minds and we just got to enjoy God's creation and each other's company. I don't know if it happens like this to everyone, but I felt so alive and happy being up there.

Cheers, and God bless!

Hoss

No comments: