Friday, January 23, 2009

Abortion

With the media talking about the anniversary of Roe v. Wade a lot lately, I've been thinking a lot about my stance on abortion. As most Christian fundamentalists, I've always held tightly to a strict pro-life belief. Abortion is wrong and it should be outlawed. But as I've grown, I've started to question the legal part of it, and yesterday, I think I've finally come to rest on a solid opinion.

Again, the following is just my opinion and is not representative of anyone other than myself. You are welcome to agree. You are welcome to disagree. This is such a tremendous issue that I think it's important for people to come to a decision on their own after taking in all the considerations and then hold firmly and unwaveringly to their belief.

First of all, the Bible clearly condemns the shedding of innocent blood. We can infer from the Old Testament that God considers a fetus as human life at the moment of conception. In Old Testament law, if two men were fighting and accidentally struck a pregnant woman and caused her to lose the baby, the one who accidentally hit her was to be killed. That's pretty strict. In God's eyes, a baby is a human life before it is ever born.

Since God considers abortion murder, I firmly believe it is wrong. I do not agree with abortion. But here is where I may lose some of you (and will quite possibly take some fire for my view). I do NOT believe the government has the right or authority to dictate or decide whether or not abortion is legal.

When you mention abortion to most people, they picture the knocked up cheerleader that wants to erase the consequences of her actions. Don't get me wrong, I am not unsympathetic to her plight. We all make mistakes. But killing an innocent life for the sake of your convenience is absolutely wrong.

I don't believe I have the right to dictate the right or wrong of abortion to a woman who was raped and is now pregnant with her rapists baby or the parents who were just told by the doctor that the baby growing inside is going to be severely handicapped, live a life of pain and suffering only to die at the age of 5. I have heard many stories of doctors delivering that sort of grim news, only for the parents to go ahead and give birth to a miraculously perfect, healthy baby. And although I don't think my wife and I could ever abort our own baby even if it was going to be horribly ill, I have not lived through it and I have no right to tell someone what they should do in that situation.

As a matter of fact, to play the devil's advocate for a moment, parents are supposed to love their children and do whatever they have to in order to take care of them and provide the best life for them. In that case, what is more cruel; ending a life of misery and suffering before it begins (even though it breaks the parents heart) or raising a child that has no quality of life and suffers through horrible disabilities to the day her or she dies? I believe with all my heart that God can step down and intervene after a doctor says there is no hope, but let's look at the facts. Physically and mentally disabled children are born every day, meaning that although you pray and ask God to fix your unborn child, it may not happen, which opens up a whole Pandora's box of questions and philosophy which I am unprepared to charge into here and now.

Anyways, I have no right to dictate to someone else what they are to do in that sort of situation. And thankfully, since I am not God, it is not my responsibility to. And although sometimes the government thinks it is in fact divine and holy, it is not their place either.

With that being said, I don't feel the knocked up cheerleader should be able to get her abortion and send me as a taxpayer the bill. I vehemently oppose funding the murder of the innocent under the candy coated title of "family planning." And that is the thought that brings me to the real purpose of this blog. Today, newly inaugurated President Barack Obama is signing an executive order allowing government funding for abortions in other countries. So essentially, our tax dollars can now pay for some Mexican whore to get an abortion so she can get back to work on the street corner. That's kind of an extreme example, but you get the drift.

The executive order is part of a partisan battle that started clear back in the Reagan administration. Reagan introduced legislation banning the use of US government money for the funding of abortion counseling and procedures in other countries. Clinton reversed it. George W. Bush reversed the reversal. And now Obama has reversed the reversed reversal.

First of all, funding the murder of innocents here in our own country is absolutely wrong. But to give money to foreign countries to do the same (especially while unemployment is continuing to rise and our economy continues to deteriorate) is left wing insanity.

My fellow Americans; get mad. Get indignant. This dude's been in office for just a few days and he's already pushing liberalism, and he ain't doing it subtly. Write your senators and congressmen. Blog about it. Talk about it at the coffee shops and with your neighbors. Whether you are pro-life, pro-choice, or libertarian the use of our tax dollars to fund abortion for non-US citizens is unpatriotic and unethical. How can we be humanitarians and take care of other nations if we can't take care of ourselves? The most important thing you can do for a poor person is to not be poor, because if you are poor, you can't help them.

Below are the links to the stories where you can learn more about this issue. As a side note, I have done my best to give Obama the benefit of the doubt. I don't agree with him on many issues, but I've done my best to have an open mind and a willingness to at least let the guy get settled into office. But this issue has caused me to seriously doubt this man and I am quickly losing respect for him.

You can read the story here on FoxNews.com and learn more about the original legislation here.

5 comments:

Brookers said...

Great blog baby! I dont understand how this is suppose to help our country! Its just insanity! What was he thinking, Im tired of liberals concearned with thier own agenda and not the well being of the american people!

Your wife.

Brookers said...

Are you kidding me!!! Ive read the news reports about this and Im just in aww. What is wrong with these people! I am so sick of left wing liberals more conearned about thier own agendas instead of buckeling down and dealing with the real issues.....like Idk.....Our Country! Its not old news people! OUR COUNTRY IS IN TROUBLE! Im feeling it and Im sure you are too! Ok, Im done.

Jill said...

Ah, you follow fox news, enough said. That's just my opinion of course. :) You had me until you started slamming Obama. When you are a young woman living in India or Turkey etc., where brutal rape occurs everyday and is then blamed on the woman, no matter the situation, you get back to me with your thoughts. In this country a woman has a fighting chance to bring justice to the bastard who raped and impregnated her, in many other countries however a girl or woman is not that lucky. She is almost always blamed for the crime, maybe because she was doing nothing more than walking alone, and that apparently means she was asking for it. The only thing she may be able to do for herself is rid her body of what the rapist left behind, something she never wanted, asked for or is responsible for. She may then be able to scrape her life back together, whatever gets her through something like rape, and I'm certainly not saying abortion is the answer but if it is to her than I fully support her, and I think she deserves that chance. I appreciate your understanding of the government and its involvement in this issue. Conservatives have a tendency to support "small government" but what does that mean when they want the government to tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her own body and when they want a couple told that they cannot marry but must pay the same taxes as everyone else as though they have equal rights? I am against abortion in most cases, but I am absolutely pro-choice. I would prefer my tax dollars help the victims of vicious rape and incest in other countries than support programs that have been proven useless, programs such as Abstinence Only. Abstinence should surely be taught to children but along with other vital education and access to birth control. Stop or at least lessen the unwanted pregnancies in this country and we stop or at least lessen the number of abortions. That is the most important part of all of this, educate people and prevent unwanted pregnancies.

hossman777 said...

I am completely empathetic to the poor, abused women in foreign countries that are not as blessed as Americans are. I think the brutality towards women is disgusting and as much as I hate it, I believe God hates it even more. And that's a lot. But I'm also empathetic to all the starving children in third world countries. I hate child prostitution and sex slavery. But again, before we can help the world, we need to be able to help ourselves. We need to fix the problems in our own back yard before we try and fix the world. I don't believe abortion is right, but I also know that there are circumstances out of our control and it is not right for a person or government to decide. However, that doesn't mean we should throw millions of dollars at the problem abroad and neglect problems at home.

I can give all the food in my house away to all the hungry and feed them all for a day or two. But if I starve to death, who is gonna be there to feed them? It's more important for me to eat and live so that I can continue to get more food to feed others.

On a different note; I've noticed that liberals, democrats, and liberal-democrats have a bit of a savior-complex when it comes to Obama. I've seen this over and over when talking to different people. They all seem to think that he's going to solve all the nation's problems and six days and rest on the seventh. I'm definitely hopeful that he can fix the economy, but if 400 million dollars for "family planning" for nations that are not our own is his idea of fixing the economy, I think he's getting off to a pretty lame start.

One more thing...I hope I don't sound confrontational. That's definitely not my intention, and I welcome the thoughts and opinions of others, even if I don't agree with them. I don't want to offend...but contending is fun.
:-) God bless!

Idahobungaloo said...

Great article Hoss. You have some valid points. Jill brought up a valid point as well. It's a tough call when it comes to things like this. Our money is being spent as if we have a never ending supply. We are responsible to educate and inform. We can't ever rely on the government to do that!