Thursday, September 11, 2008

A jack of all trades...

Well, as most everyone knows, the housing industry has taken a major hit this year. As a mortgage originator, I've definitely felt the crunch...and so has my bank account. As of June I started working other jobs besides mortgages to try and make ends meet. Here are some of the odd-jobs and positions I've filled temporarily just since June...

Manager of an apartment complex
Mainenance guy for a rental management company
Landscaping and lawn care
Cutting and selling firewood
Construction
Metal fabrication/machine shop

So, I've gained a lot of experience and knowledge in a very short amount of time. I counted it all up today and realized that I'm turning into one of those guys that has pretty much been there and done it all as far as jobs go. Hopefully in the near future something steady and solid will land and I can take a break from all the hat-switching for a while.

As stressful as it has been, I'm thankful. Each position and job has given me new skills, provided income for my family during this season of financial drought, and given me something new to praise God for. It hasn't all been fun or easy, and it has most definitely frustrated me more times than I care to recall, but a while back I got a word from God that has helped get me through...

Diamonds are created be enormous amounts of heat and pressure, and when we come through this, we are going to sparkle and shine... That speaks two main things to me. The first and most hope-inspiring - - There will be an end. I won't have to struggle and scrape like this forever. Secondly, God's doing something in me that is going to leave an everlasting mark. I'm going to be uncommon, full of value and worth. God is shaping me, molding me, firing and crushing me because he has something huge in store for my life and for the ministry of my wife and myself.

The bible tells us that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Basically, the seed of faith gets planted by God's word, whether that be through the bible or through a sermon or a specific prophetic word or whatever. Faith moves mountains and changes things. I cannot tell you the vast amounts of faith and hope that the simple statement above has given to my wife and I through this time of trial. No matter how dark the day or how lousy I feel or how much I wallow in doubt and despair, deeper than deep down, I know that God is going to bring us through to the other side and cause us to be vessels of uncommon value and worth.

I think I wrote all this more for me than for anyone else, but I hope it blesses someone who reads it.

Cheers, and God bless!

Hoss

No comments: